Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Reason Why We Shouldn’t Fear Anything.

Now that baseball season is over, I don’t have any good reason to watch television. I can see Heroes online, you know? And that’s a better deal because I don’t have to endure so many commercials when I watch television shows online. Advertisements, more than many things, bother the hell out of me. During the World Series, though, I saw a Wendy’s commercial that annoyingly fits well with what I want to tell all of you today. The ad has two well-cast “everymen” sitting at work. One guy has a Wendy’s bag and asks the other guy how he liked his chicken sandwich. The second dude says, “I don’t remember.” Then the girl on the Wendy’s bag starts giving him a hard time about eating boring food.

This commercial is relevant to my point because memory sometimes fails more than serves us. I remember learning about “Mass Amnesia” from… somebody, I can’t remember. It’s a phenomenon that causes us to forget things like the outrage over gas prices crossing the dollar fifty mark, why we thought that Macarena song was so good, or how my teacher in elementary school convinced an entire fourth grade class that overpopulation would strangle the earth by the time we were twenty-five years old. Which is now. I hate this about my brain because sometimes I forget the most important of truths. The Kingdom of God is at hand. Jesus is Lord. I can put my trust in Him. My ears will hear, my own mouth will say words that evaporate into the air, and then I’ll forget to live in the confidence of these truths.

I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve said that the Bible is absolutely true, infallibly true, the standard of truth. But then I go through my days with a low level of anxiety hanging out in my chest and giving me headaches. Why am I stressed? Why am I worried about anything? Why am I ever afraid?

Just before Jesus ascended into Heaven, his disciples came around him. Matthew 28:17 says, “When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful.” My paraphrase would read, They hung out with the Messiah, whom had so recently died a brutal death; but some suffered from mass amnesia and wondered if He really was the Son of God. It makes me wonder how easy it could have been for some of them to forget what Jesus said in the very next verse, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.”

I love the wording of Revelation 4:2, “Immediately I was in the Spirit; and behold, a throne was standing in heaven, and One sitting on the throne.” One. Only One sits on the throne. God alone rules everything, and everything is subject to His rule. He loves us and He has it under control. This is the reason why we shouldn’t fear anything.

This post almost had the title, or at least the subtitle, “The Only Reason We Should Ever Fear Anything.” I decided to accentuate the positive. But really, that old question still demands an answer. Why am I ever afraid? It’s because in my heart, I’ve put other things on the throne. I sometimes worry about having the money to pay bills, so I put success and financial responsibility on the throne. My thirties will be here before I know it, and I sometimes think if I’m not married and having babies before then, I’m going to be miserable. I’ve put relationships and family on the throne. Certain family members have at times expressed concern over me wasting my talent. I sometimes listen to them. When I do, I’ve put my abilities on the throne. So many things have sat on the throne in my heart that didn’t deserve the seat. That’s God’s chair. When we put our trust in something or someone else to save us, preserve us, make us happy, or give us hope, then it has become an idol. Only then should we fear because deep inside of us, intricately woven into our souls, is the understanding that our idols can and will fail us.

If I genuinely put my trust in Jesus, then I also trust in His authority, His victory. Jesus has been and always will be mankind’s only hope. He alone can guarantee security through His salvation. Everything else, including good things like achievements or relationships or success, falls short of our security in Jesus. Sometimes these things assert themselves as having power over us, but any power they have first came from God. Remember the conversation between Jesus and Pilate in John 19:10-11? Pilate was offended that Jesus wouldn’t answer a question, so he said, “‘You do not speak to me? Do You not know that I have authority to release You, and I have authority to crucify You?’ Jesus answered, ‘You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above.’”

Now that’s fearlessness. Jesus just had the shit beat out of Him, and there He is, toe to toe with the governing ruler, telling him that he has no say in whether He lives or dies. It’s a beautiful, albeit gruesome, picture of how we should deal with fears. God is in control. He’s on the throne. Whatever happens, I know this is true. I’ll just have to try not to forget it.

6 comments:

M said...

percisely

leanna said...

brilliant, as always.
i'm a broken record.
but i mean it.

stress is something i've been struggling with a lot lately. not used to things being as tight as they've been lately. but you'd think that after all these years i'd have figured out that god is virtually incapable of letting me down. i'm lame. and he's too good to me.

and thanks for the comments. i'd love to read your friend's allegorical graphic novel about the pregnant woman business if that were somehow possible. sounds intriguing.

Melissa Joy said...

I came across your blog today. I read it and I loved what you wrote. It really hit home. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...I think I'll continue reading your insight!

Clare said...

there is so much fear around at the moment. people here are freaking about the economy and uranium mining and natural disasters.

at the same time we all sort of get on with life, i guess it is kind of like the mass-amnesia you were talking about. a form of self-preservation by forgetting the things that we thought would make life right and happy. Getting over disappointed hope by forgetting it and moving on to the next thing.

"hope" is a word that i have seen come out of the US recently (coughelectioncough) and though we get incredibly pro-obama press over here i think everyone is realizing that no one person or politic or package can ever be the realization of our hope.

hope is something so un-human, so illogical and otherworldy. it can't rely on people being in charge, or money or careers or mother nature. i think we fear because we see our hope being proved wrong in front of our very eyes, but we choose to forget it and move on..

i reckon that the only way to answer fear is like what you said - to hope in Jesus and nothing else. he is the only one who can be what we are truly looking for. our misdirected hope will only disappoint us further. like you say.. the only time we get afraid is when we don't recognize that Jesus has got it covered and that it is going to work out in the end..

didn't mean to write my 2 cents.. i guess i was just digesting another great blog post!

BrotherJoshua said...

Pure zeitgeist. I've only read a chapter, because I've been super busy at work and can only read it on the internet, right now, because I haven't re-installed Word, yet.

So, I guess that's a good thing?

marasaur, bubsicle, krater, and juice said...

come back to Nashville please.

-2910