Saturday, March 31, 2012

If God Really Cared.

Something just occurred to me.

People sometimes look at their circumstances and wonder if God really cares. If God cared, He would do something about it, right?

Scripture says of Jesus, "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin."

So did Jesus wrestle with doubt and wonder if God cared about him? In Luke 4:9-12, we see Jesus facing this very temptation. Satan, in a series of temptations, took Jesus to the pinnacle of the temple in Jerusalem and said, "'If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down from here, for it is written, "He will command his angels concerning you, to guard you," and, "On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone." And Jesus answered him, 'It is said, "You shall not put the Lord your God to the test."'"

My friend John put this into context for me last week. This is just like when we say, "God, if you really loved me, my wife wouldn't have this brain tumor." Or, "God, if you really love me, I won't be single into my thirties."

God understands our struggle and our circumstances. Jesus confronted questions just like ours. But Jesus didn't doubt God's love for him. He knew he didn't need to test it. We can also have assurance of God's love in what Jesus did for us. He already offered us salvation. What else does He have to prove?

5 comments:

Joe said...

I'm curious, if Jesus didn't question the Father's love EVER, why did he say, "My God, My God why have you forsaken me?"?

Isaiah Kallman said...

Hey Joe, good to hear from you again.

First, I always thought that was Jesus referring to Psalm 22, which is a song of trust in God during the worst kinds of circumstances.

Second, you bring up what might be a bookend. Satan tempted Jesus "If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down." The mob taunted Jesus with "If you are the Son of God, come down off the cross." In neither case did Jesus give into it.

Joe said...

So are you suggesting that He wasn't really asking, he was making more of a statement?

Isaiah Kallman said...

I don't think he was asking, no. I see it more like Jesus reciting scripture, expressing the pain but declaring trust in God despite it.

Joe said...

And you see it this way because that is how the text reads or because it fits into your theological system?

I think if this post is true, there is no room for doubt and if there is no room for doubt there is probably not room for faith.